Father Christmas has been good to me this year as I received number of fantastic books to start making my way through next year. Here’s a quick run-down:
- Enterprise Integration Patterns - Ignore the fact that the title includes the word “Enterprise”, this is a great book about asynchronous messaging for large distributed systems.
- Hacker’s Delight – wow! At first glance this looks pretty hard-core. Loads of nifty little hacks, bit flipping techniques and all that malarkey. Way out of my league, but the only way to improve is by pushing yourself!
- The Annotated Turing – again, another book that is way out of my league, however, it is fascinating and very well written. I am looking forward to working my way through this book, however, I think I’ll be making lots of trips to the Khan Academy to brush up on my maths skills.
- The Inner Game of Tennis – A slightly different book to the others, but one I found through a link on Hacker News. So far, looking good.
- Weinberg on Writing – I need to improve my writing skills so I added this to my wish list. Read a few chapters of it so far and pretty impressed. From what I can gather (and I’m only on page 32) the general thesis is to have plenty of projects on the go at once – which is something I like the sound of!